Call for Director of Affinity Groups
Director of Affinity Groups, National Collegiate Choral Organization (NCCO)
Member of the NCCO Executive Board, ex-officio (along with the President, President-Elect, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Chief Editor of Publications)
START DATE & DURATION
Start date: August 1, 2021
Thereafter, this is to be a 2 year-term, beginning January 1, 2022 and ending December 31, 2023 (with possibility of renewal).
The NCCO seeks an inaugural Director of Affinity Groups.
Affinity Groups will situate culturally responsive processes at the heart of NCCO’s governance. These groups may provide opportunities for discussion between individuals sharing particular aspects of their identities, or individuals sharing similar conducting/teaching positions. These groups will affirm and embrace our complex web of identities, serving as brave and safe spaces for our members. Within these groups, NCCO members may seek mentorship, community, and sustaining professional development.
In partnership with the Affinity Groups, the Director will solicit ideas for advocacy, support, and structural change, catalyzing actionable equity within the NCCO.
- Propose the types and names of Affinity Groups after collaboration with the broader NCCO membership.
- Establish initial Affinity Groups within the NCCO.
- Develop, promote, and implement an extended vision for the Affinity Groups program.
- Facilitate events/opportunities for Affinity Groups, responsive to the expressed needs of each respective group.
- Communicate concerns and ideas from the Affinity Groups to the Mission and Vision in Governance (MVG) Committee, Executive Board, and/or National Board as appropriate. The MVG Committee will be responsible for follow-up, public accountability, and timely action.
- Meet regularly with the Executive Board, MVG Committee, and conference planning teams. The Director will be invited to all meetings and participate as needed, either synchronously or asynchronously.
- Collaborate with the MVG Committee to build strategies for cultivating and nominating prospective Executive Board and National Board members, ensuring that the process reflects NCCO’s mission and vision.
The Director of Affinity Groups will receive a modest annual honorarium for their service.
- Master’s degree, or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience.
- Leadership experience in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work, including facilitating nuanced conversations with diverse groups of individuals around race, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, and additional aspects of intersecting identities
- Employment experience at a post-secondary institution
- Experience with choral music
- Doctoral degree or equivalent experience
- Extensive experience with choral communities
- Prior involvement with the National Collegiate Choral Organization
NOMINATIONS and TO APPLY
Individuals may nominate colleagues they deem appropriate for the position. Individuals are also welcome to self-nominate.
Nominations are due by July 15, 2021, and the MVG Committee will have a selection made by August 1, 2021. Please submit applications HERE.
Please direct any questions to NCCO vice president, Elizabeth Swanson: [email protected]
Applicants will be asked to submit the following information:
- Contact information (Name, phone, email)
- Letter of interest/intention. The MVG Committee asks applicants to reflect on the ways their experiences and identities prepare them for this position.
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of at least two references that can speak to the applicant’s organizational and communication capacities. Include phone and email address for each reference.
Finalists will be asked to interview with the MVG Committee. As part of the interview process, finalists will be provided with questions in advance and asked to provide a presentation of their vision for the Affinity Groups program.
The NCCO does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, sex, religion, age, marital status, national origin, the presence of any physical or sensory disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, and local laws.